The Lunatic Calm

Sunday, June 05, 2005

When it rains, it pours..

Literally. And metaphorically. Bad days don't come alone. They bring the whole damn family with them. After that terrible ordeal, I was hoping for life to be calm and relaxed atleast for a while. Yet, here I was caught in another disastrous day.

It was supposed to be a good day. A happy day. Everything was planned. I was supposed to go home. The ticket obtained after much blood and sweat. Well, actualy phone calls mostly. Anyway, a hard-earned ticket. And I was going home.

But it rained...

Not the usual pleasant drizzle, or the soothing dark downpour... A cold, 'haily' torrential downpour that threatened to wash away all civilization. After waiting for a long time, I decided to make a move. Nearing the lane where my house was, I was a bit surprised to see the roads submerged in water. Deciding to wade through, I rolled up my jeans and stepped into the filth. I still go 'yuck!' when I think of that. Wading through Bangalore's filth.

Much to my dismay, the further I went, the deeper it got. By the time I reached our lane, it was several inches above my knee. Some people had taken refuge in an office building and urged me not to risk it. So I climbed in with them. And the water level kept rising.

From 4:30 to 8:15 pm, I stood there, contemplating my watery fate. Finally, the water level had gone down enough for me to wade home. Nearing my house, I noticed that it was several inches deeper than the part till where i had waded. If I had continued wading home, I would've been submerged. I went into the house, fully expecting a terrible state of affairs. And terrible it was. All our shoes, bags, some clothes, were all ruined. Apparenlty there was a few inches of standing water inside the house.

Thankful to have gotten home alive, I went upstairs to freshen up. Soon, we were cleaning up the mess and managed to make the place look normal again. Ravaged by hunger, we ordered food. Eager to quiet the rumbling of our stomaches, we attacked the food with a frenzy born of hunger and exhaustion.

And the power failed...

I hate this day...

1 Comments:

  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, its true..when it rains it pours...
    Keep up the creative flame of yours..i love it!
    Rini

     

Post a Comment

<< Home